Friday, July 24, 2009

Student Scrapbook




Here's a great idea for making scrapbook's for your students. When I first thought of the idea to make a scrapbook for my students, there wasn't anything out there that worked for me. After brainstorming several ideas, I came up with one and have used it for the past 7 years. Here are the directions to make the scrapbook:
  • You need 5 folders for each student, I usually get different colors.
  • Cut all the folders in half.
  • Each scrapbook will have 10 sides of each folder
  • Some scrapbooks will have pockets on the left and some on the right.
  • For the scrapbooks that have pockets on the right, place a piece of card stock on the front and bind together.
  • For scrapbooks that have pockets on the left, place a piece of card stock on the back and bind together.
  • You will now have a scrapbook that, when opened, there will be a pocket side and a flat side.
  • In the pocket, place student's work for each month.
  • On the flat side, place pictures and a note from their parents.
  • At the end of the year, you will have a finished scrapbook to give your students.

I have a crate with a folder for each student, every month I keep some of their work in the folder. At the end of the month, I have a parent volunteer come in and place the student's work in their scrapbook and attach the pictures. It's easier to have the same volunteer do the scrapbook every month. It's consistent and you don't have to explain what to do every time.


This project can be very expensive (folders, binding combs, picture developing
and double-sided tape). So, at the beginning of the year, I ask parents to donate money to the scrapbook fund. I make it optional and I make every student a scrapbook. I don't want to leave a child out because his/her parents didn't contribute to the scrapbook fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment