Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Play in the Classroom

I've been teaching for 9 years and have always felt that play is an important part of a child's learning. Other teachers would call me the "laid-back" teacher because I let Johnny stand while he does his work or I let my kids "play" too much. Luckily, my principal understands my style of teaching and sees that it does work. I'm constantly watching my students while they play and interact with each other and believe 100% that they learn more through play than through worksheets. Of course, I still do worksheets and the required curriculum, however, I also let my kids play a lot throughout the day. Play to me includes anything that they choose to do (draw, puzzles, blocks, play teacher, etc). Giving them a choice in what they do is a huge part of my classroom. As an adult, I would never want to be told that I need to go put a puzzle together. Students need to love what they're doing, this builds self-esteem and a love for learning. I came across an article that supports my view: http://lessonupgrades.com/Education,_activity,_Brain-Based_Learning,_Play,Lesson_Upgrades.html

No comments:

Post a Comment